Breaking news - Rail user groups from Rose Hill, Marple and Romiley are fighting plans to suspend train services on the route from Rose Hill Marple to Manchester Piccadilly via Hyde from September to December 2020 due to 'insufficient staffing caused by the need to train for new rolling stock and new recruits'. During this period there will be no trains at Rose Hill Marple, Woodley, Hyde Central Hyde North, and Fairfield stations.
Who loves Bees? WE DO! Exciting new 'Bees in the Car Park' project coming soon.
Rail user groups from Rose Hill, Marple and Romiley are fighting plans to suspend train services on the route from Rose Hill Marple to Manchester Piccadilly via Hyde in the period September to December 2020. Northern Trains now run by the Department for Transport’s Operator of Last Resort, has told local MPs that they are planning to suspend all train services on the route from September to December 2020 due to insufficient staffing caused by the need to train for new rolling stock and new recruits. During this period there will be no trains at Rose Hill Marple, Woodley, Hyde Central Hyde North, and Fairfield stations. As a result frequency will also be cut at Romiley, Guide Bridge and Ashburys. The campaign to stop these plans also involves the Goyt Valley Rail Users Association and is supported by local MPs and Councillors.
We'll let you know when our monthly Northumberland Arms meetings (usually 2nd Tuesday of month @19.45) resume. In the meantime we are meeting using Zoom - next on-line meeting Tues 11 August 2020.
Just ask for login details. In the meantime we can be contacted by email, phone, twitter, FaceBook or legililmancy. Tell us what you would like to see at the station and help us make our dreams come true. We're friendly and we don't bite.
Next workday - to be confirmed - contact Peter Black 07505 22 1405
Marple wins 2020 'Cheshire Best Kept Stations Awards'
We were delighted to win the TfGM award at the 'Cheshire Best Kept Stations' ceremony. Our station is a paradise for art, with more Eamon Murphy posters and a new schools display joining our Agatha Christie posters. Our conscientious objector display provided a different but important perspective on World War 1.
We are an award winning voluntary community group. We improve Marple Station and promote and lobby for improvements to trains and services:
- Provide an exciting and changing display of art work and information for passengers and visitors
- Lobby for improvements to, and replacement of the Manchester platform waiting room
- Organise events such as art sales and carol concerts
- Campaign for better services, more carriages and
- Provide honest feedback to Northern on their performance
- Meet regularly for a chat to plan our work and have a chat (usually in the community owned Northumberland Arms, Marple Bridge)
- Organise regular workdays - usually Saturday mornings. We will make you feel welcome!
- Count and survey passengers so we can lobby for improvements